j2chess is a pure hobby project and it's true to say its development progress is fairly slow... But who really minds? ;-)
By making j2chess public, I hope I'll give you the opportunity to have a good time playing chess and also you'll help me to improve it by sending me your feedback via email. That's it really!
The latest available version is j2chess r3.6.1, released the first of January 2016, and last but not least, j2chess is available as a free download.
Key featuresj2chess key features are:
- as long as you have java, j2chess is all-platform friendly :-)
- nice and easy to use
- full screen mode, now supports Mac OS X El Captain3.6
- strength and other various settings can be changed
- symmetric multiprocessing (SMP) support for maximum engine strength (= uses multi-cores/CPU system)
- casual, blitz and blitz Fischer style available for new games
- opening book with about 15,000 games
- save current game in PGN file (Portable Game Notation)
- load games in PGN (Portable Game Notation)
- classic & great players libraries available to replay of some of the greatest chess games ever
- save current position in FEN file (Forsyth-Edwards Notation)3.5
- load FEN file (Forsyth-Edwards Notation)3.5
- following languages are supported:
- english (default)
- português do Brasil
- and finally an impressive 5,280,587 nodes per second... If you have one Intel Core i7-2600 CPU 4 Cores 8 Logical Processors @ 3.40 GHz! ;-)
And what's planned for the future versions?Ideas for j2chess' future are...
- first bug free version... just kidding! (or maybe not)
- always better GUI
- one way or another: make the chess engine smarter ;-)
- ICS support (Internet Chess Server)
- UCI support (Universal Chess Interface)
- more language support: deutsch, spanish...
- PGN libraries management (add or delete games, merging,...)
NB: the to do list is almost as long as the j2chess development is slow... ;-)